Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Crying Like A Baby

Last night Walter was crying, and I was crying, because I couldn't do anything about his crying.  Last night we decided it was time to try out the whole crying it out technique in order to get Walter to sleep better at night.  He went to bed just great, but then at 10:30 he woke up.  He fussed for a few minutes and then I thought he went back to bed... WRONG, he was just getting started! He cried, and he cried, and he cried, and he cried some more- he cried for an hour and a half! I felt like the worst mother on the planet! So I went into my room, and cried, and cried, and cried some more.  Jesse checked on him every 15-20 minutes, which just made him more upset once Jesse left the room again.  Poor little Walter finally fell asleep at midnight, and I made the unwise decision to go in and look at him.  He was so perfect, sucking on his thumb and holding his blankie- it made me feel even worse that I had just let him cry for that long, so I cried, and cried, and cried some more.  Then at 4:30, I heard him again, and I started freaking out.  There was no way I could let him cry like that again.  Luckily, he cried for maybe a minute and was back to sleep! And he slept til 6:30 this morning.  I was so happy to go in and get him, and he was just as happy to see me :) I know that we have to do this again tonight, I am just praying that it doesn't take an hour and a half again! That was seriously the hardest thing I have ever had to do!

1 comment:

  1. oh melissa. i know it's hard. but it'll be worth it once he starts sleeping through the night. just look at it this way... i have a friend who refused to let her kids cry it out, and one of them NEVER learned to sleep through the night. he's 3, and he still wakes up 2 or 3 times a night. he has every night for THREE YEARS because his mom didn't want to sleep train him. it's better to do it now, because they'll just cry longer and harder the older they get. hang in there. and maybe sleep with ear plugs in. that way you won't know if he's crying.

    ReplyDelete