Wednesday, November 7, 2012

My "Ah-Ha" Moment

So I think that all of us can agree that yesterday's election was intense.  And for some of us, it was a disappointment, to say the least.  Looking at my facebook page, there were many posts that were just depressing.  People are scared for what's to come, people are calling each other names, I even saw a post from one girl that said she no longer wants to have children because she doesn't want to bring them into this evil world.  Last night I had a lot of the same thoughts.  I didn't think I would be this upset about the outcome- I'm not usually one to get very involved in politics.  But I was really upset, and scared.  I couldn't help but think about what Walter's life is now going to be like- every bad scenario I could possibly think up, I did.  Then today I was driving in the car and on the radio someone said something to the effect of "You have more control over your happiness and your future than any government or leader will ever have, it is up to you how much happiness and success you create for yourself in this life."  That was my "ah-ha" moment.  I realized right there that regardless of the results of this election, I am in charge of my happiness and I am in charge of what I do now in going forward.  And I thought about what really makes me happy.  My family and the gospel.  Those are two things that no one can ever take away from me.  The road ahead may be hard, and it won't always be pretty, but when I think about my family, and the fact that we can be together forever, I'm not so scared anymore.  I am so grateful that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  The knowledge and peace that comes from that is something this world will never be able to give me.  It is so reassuring to know that even if things seem out of control, they are not.  Our loving Heavenly Father is in charge, He always has been and He always will be, and He will protect and watch over those who remain faithful to Him through these hard times.  In short, I am going to go on trying to make my life the happiest I can by keeping those things that really matter close to me, and not worrying so much about what is happening all around me.  I'm not saying that I will become ignorant to what is going on in the world, I think it is important to stay informed about what is happening, but I will not let it get me down.  In the end, things will work out and be okay.  I found this quote from one of my friends on facebook and I just love it:

Following 9/11/2001 Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley said the following. It still applies as we look forward to the future.

"Now, brothers and sisters, we must do our duty, whatever that duty might be. Peace may be denied for a season. Some of our liberties may be curtailed. We may be inconvenienced. We may even be called on to suffer in one way or another. But God our Eternal Father will watch over this nation and all of the civilized world who look to Him. He has declared, "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord" (Ps. 33:12). Our safety lies in repentance. Our strength comes of obedience to the commandments of God.
Let us be prayerful. Let us pray for righteousness. Let us pray for the forces of good. Let us reach out to help men and women of goodwill, whatever their religious persuasion and wherever they live. Let us stand firm against evil, both at home and abroad. Let us live worthy of the blessings of heaven, reforming our lives where necessary and looking to Him, the Father of us all. He has said, "Be still, and know that I am God" (Ps. 46:10).
Are these perilous times? They are. But there is no need to fear. We can have peace in our hearts and peace in our homes. We can be an influence for good in this world, every one of us.
May the God of heaven, the Almighty, bless us, help us, as we walk our various ways in the uncertain days that lie ahead. May we look to Him with unfailing faith. May we worthily place our reliance on His Beloved Son who is our great Redeemer, whether it be in life or in death, is my prayer in His holy name, even the name of Jesus Christ, amen". --
Gordon B. Hinckley, October Conference 2001, "The Times in Which We Live"




To learn more about the LDS faith go to lds.org or mormon.org

No comments:

Post a Comment